The Post and Beam by Vermont Timber Works, Inc.

Thursday, March 6, 2008

If Mother Goose were to inquire about Timber Framing....


How, If I might ask, is a Timber Frame made?
What exactly are the tricks of the trade?

*My Dear Mrs. Goose, please let me explain.
Our Timber Frames are Custom Built, no two are the same.
The Timber Beams arrive here in saw milled form,
and from those milled timbers, wondrous Post and Beam Houses are born.


The Heavy Timber Trusses, are they all cut by hand?
If I want to build, do I need archtiectural plans?
*Yes, Mrs. Goose, they are all hand cut by our crew.
Fabricated in our shop and shipped directly to you.
Architectural plans are a definite plus,
But if you have hand drawn sketches and can explain them to us,
we can do a rough estimate, based on your drawing, but of course we do engineering before we start sawing.


How long will it take to erect the timber frame?
Be it Douglas Fir or White Pine, are the lead times the same?
* Based on the species, some being native, some not,
we allow for the shipping in the lead time slot.
Normal approximation for a Vermont Timber Works Frame
is 12 to 14 weeks. All the lead times the same.

Can I just put Timber Accent Beams in certain rooms in my dwelling?
Over time will the Beams shrink, or should I anticipate them swelling?
* Timber is a ntural product, and over time will start checking
with the exception, of course, of the floor and roof decking.
As Timber dries out, it may shrink ever so slighlty,
but our mortise and tenon joinery will always fit tightly.

If I wanted a Timber Barn or a Timber Church on the side,
is this something that Vermont Timber Works could provide?
*Of course we can build Timber Churches and Post and Beam Barn Frames.
These are just a few examples of why we lead in this Trade.
Call me to discuss your project. I'd be happy to take the time.
But do me a favor, and stop speaking in rhyme!

No comments:

Followers